Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Bad Case of the Spots



So, about 10 days ago now I took Brock into the doctor after he had had a cold for some time and it had now turned to a fever and hurting ears. So, in we go and sure enough a double ear infection...bummer! What I didn't realize was that this was Brock's first antibiotics as we have thankfully never been a family to suffer any such problems. Anyway...long story long...7 days into the antibiotics he woke up covered in spots! After another trip to the doctor they confirmed that he is severely allergic to penicillin. Ugh! So now he has to be on Benedryl for the itching, Prednesone for the swelling and yet another antibiotic because the ear infection was not gone. Oh, and the new stuff...they sent me home with instructions to watch him real close because 10% of the people allergic to penicillin are allergic to this too and then they stop breathing!!! Needless to say that was a sleepless night! Thankfully he did not have a reaction and that means that at least we do have a drug that we can give him in case of another infection at another time. But the poor boy...boy did he itch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Goodness! Those are some spots! I can't believe how covered he was with them.

Laura Byers

The Chatty Housewife said...

Oh how sad! Poor little dude, I hope he is feeling better asap!

Glenda Conner said...

:( xoxox's

Amy said...

Oh Mandy! I am so sorry! Poor little guy! Did anything give him relief from itching? I am glad you and your doctor know for the future what NOT to give him. Hard way to find out.

Brooke said...

I'm sorry Brock! Cute little back though : ) Caroline's on day 4 of Amoxicilin--hopefully day 7 won't bring us a similar fate!